Placemaking Program & GrantA
Placemaking is a way to make your community a better place to live by transforming unused sites and “eyesores” into welcoming destinations accessible to everyone in a community. Placemaking can be undertaken by anyone in a community but what is often needed is someone to take the lead or initiative. Who better to do this than a REALTOR® Association, and its members, as REALTORS® are already engaged in their communities and know the neighborhoods and the properties, and are likely to know where to focus efforts to enhance a place.
Placemaking Program Resources
The REALTOR® Party’s Placemaking program provides technical and financial assistance to help REALTOR® Associations become engaged in placemaking in their communities. Available resources include the:
- Placemaking Guide for REALTOR® Associations
Learn the details of Placemaking; the kinds of projects Placemaking entails and how to organize them; and where to go for assistance and resources.
- Spaces to Places Blog
See and learn about Placemaking projects in action across the country.
- Placemaking Webinars
The Placemaking Webinars provide more in-depth information on the various types of Placemaking and how REALTORS® are involved in Placemaking activities in their communities.
- Better Block Guide for Associations
A detailed overview of what a Better Block is and information to help you and your partners plan and organize a Better Block. Ideas generated at a Better Block may lead to permanent Placemaking projects.
- Smart Growth Action Grant
Fund planning and community input activities related to Placemaking and land-use policies, such as Better Block events, Placemaking visioning and Main Street® analyses.
Questions? Contact Holly Moskerintz at 202-383-1157.
The Placemaking grant is only available to state and local REALTOR® Associations.
The Placemaking Grant funds the creation of new public spaces and destinations in a community. The grant focuses on “lighter, cheaper, quicker” placemaking projects, which can be built under a year and cost less than $200,000.
Review the Placemaking criteria below before applying for a Placemaking Grant.
PLACEMAKING GRANT APPLICATION
PLACEMAKING GRANT FOLLOW-UP & EVALUATION FORM
Questions? Contact Holly Moskerintz at 202-383-1157.
The Placemaking Grant is available for up to $3,000, depending on engagement of REALTOR® Association, and its members, impact on community and meeting of all project criteria listed below. An association can be approved for up to two grants per year. The second grant application will not be reviewed until the project evaluation form and “after” photo from the first project are submitted. Associations will not be able to submit another application for one year if funds were not used as described in application.
The online application can be submitted at any time through October 1, 2018.
- Take a photo(s) of the current site and submit it as the “before” photo.
- Calculate or obtain the project budget (needs to be $200,000 or under) and submit it with the application.
- Develop or obtain the project’s design or concept plan and submit it with the application.
- If you have problems uploading the files, you can email them.
- Staff will schedule a brief phone call to discuss project and application.
- You may need to provide additional information.
- You can have your partners on the call.
- Staff will then review the application after all required information is received.
- Staff will contact the association within 10 days after the phone call.
The Placemaking Grant can only be used to fund projects that meet the following criteria:
New Public Space Created
Types of projects funded are parks, pocket parks, plazas, parklets, alley activations, trails, dog parks, play/fitness areas, community gardens. See the types of activities the grant does not fund.
Association and Member Engagement
Placemaking projects offer an opportunity for REALTOR® Associations and REALTORS® to engage in goodwill efforts in a community. An association, and its members, need to be involved in the planning, designing, funding and/or building of the project. Maximum grant amount is awarded to reflect projects that are association-led or projects where the REALTOR® Association is a main partner.
Mulit-Functional & Community-Orientated
Make sure your project meets the following criteria:
- Benefits everyone in the community and includes amenities that everyone can enjoy
- Compliant with city permitting and zoning
- Accessible to the whole community and all residents
- Accessible all or most of the time
- Provides at least 10 things to do or 10 reasons to be there
All projects must be completed within one year of the grant application approval for grant funds to be disbursed. Within one month of project completion, the following should be completed:
- Email photo(s) of the completed project to Holly Moskerintz.
- Submit the evaluation form outlining impact of project (i.e. use/visits by the community; media coverage; other community projects, community response, outcomes, etc.).
- Celebrate your success. We encourage you to consider having a “ribbon cutting” ceremony or similar event and inviting members, the community, stakeholders and media.
- Write a blog post to be included in the Spaces to Places blog. Posts should be no more than 300 words and should include photos and/or videos.
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be distributed as follows:
- Request check request via email to Holly Moskerintz.
- Include to whom the check should be made out to and a mailing address.
- Checks can be payable to your association or board, or an organization (we will need the Tax ID number, phone number and copy of their W-9) but not to a government agency.
- Submit proof of how funds were spent.
- Acceptable forms of proof include an invoice, signed contract, receipts and cancelled checks.
- The request for reimbursement must be made within 1 year from when the application was approved.
- Once all documentation is received, NAR will process the check request. It usually takes 10-15 working days for the check to be processed and mailed.