Customized State Smart Growth Legislation ProgramA
The Customized State Smart Growth Legislation Program provides assistance to state REALTOR® Associations to take the lead in writing and introducing legislation to help the state better address the challenges of growth and improve local communities. NAR will offer the services of respected land-use consultant, Robinson & Cole, to draft state legislation on Smart Growth issues (i.e., new zoning enabling legislation, requirements for local planning, changes in subdivision law, open space protection). These proposals must be related to land-use and smart growth, and should involve issues that can gain support from a constituency beyond REALTORS®.
What does the program provide?
- Drafting by experienced land-use attorneys of legislation to achieve specific ends identified by the state REALTOR® Association
- Advice on legislative strategy
- Development of talking points
- Assistance with coalition development
- Limited direct lobbying
What is the state REALTOR® Association expected to do?
- Fully commit to a legislative campaign
- Identify specific objectives the legislation is to achieve
- Appoint a legislative committee or task force (if none already exists)
- Participate in strategy and coalition development
- Secure bill sponsor
- Organize member contact teams to lobby legislators
Questions? Contact Christine Windle, at 202-383-1135.