Rural Outreach Grant
The Rural Outreach Grant supports state and local REALTOR® Associations’ activities on a wide range of issues confronting rural communities. The grant will fund advocacy initiatives related to the following issues:
- Farmland/Open Space Preservation
- Protection Overlay Districts – could be environmental (steep slopes, setback requirements)
- Rural Zoning – Subdivision Ordinances/Rural Lot Configuration/Downzoning
- Natural Disasters
- Land Use
Note: Funds can’t be used for activities in which the other Community Outreach grants would fund. For housing affordability, housing inventory, rental housing related issues, use the Housing Opportunity grant. To create a new public space or destination in your community, use the Placemaking Grant. To influence public policy on land use, growth/development or transportation issues related to Smart Growth principles, use the Smart Growth grant.
There is a Level 1 and a Level 2 Rural Outreach Grant.
Note – 10% Grant Commitment Waived. As part of NAR’s Right Tools, Right Now, the 10% financial contribution requirement is waived.
The Level 1 Rural Outreach grant can be used for educational activities including hosting speakers who can address the issues referenced above. See Ideas for Using a Rural Outreach Grant.
- Level 1 Amount: up to $1,500 depending on meeting of all project criteria listed below.
The Level 2 Rural Outreach grant funds activities and initiatives to engage in the issues referenced above with other stakeholders and elected officials. Activities could include events, trainings, studies, research, workshops, conferences, websites, marketing/educational materials, ordinance review/drafts. See Ideas for Using a Rural Outreach Grant.
Note: for conferences and events, staff and/or REALTORS® need to be substantially engaged such as serving on a conference planning committee, planning a conference session, speaking or serving as moderator to a session or involved in follow-up event activity.
Level 2 Amount: up to $5,000 depending on meeting of all project criteria listed below.
Criteria & Review: Level 1 & 2
- Review: NAR Staff
- Number/Year: One level/year
- Application Deadline: Applications can be submitted at any time through October 15, 2022
- Project Completion: All projects must be completed within one year of the grant application approval.
- Types of Projects Funded: Must related to activities to address issues referenced above. See Ideas for Using a Rural Outreach Grant.
- Activities not Funded: Funds can’t be used on activities none of our grants will fund: REALTOR® association staff time/hours; general operating expenses; fundraising contributions; registration fees for REALTOR® education or other events; donations, cash prizes or purchase of gifts and prizes.
- Association and Member Engagement: An association, and its members, need to be involved in the planning, designing, funding, etc. of the activity.
- Association engagement: fundraising and/or donations, planning, organizing, serves on project committee/task force, etc.
- Realtor engagement: planning, coordinating, serves on project committee/task force, etc.
Application Process Level 1 and Level 2
- Submit the online application and attach a copy of the budget
- Staff may schedule a brief phone call to discuss project and application
- You may need to provide additional information
- You can have your partners on the call
- Staff will review the application after all required information is received
- Staff will contact the association within 7 business days after all information is provided.
Project Completion: Level 1 and Level 2
All projects must be completed within one year of the grant application approval and the following conducted.
- Submit the evaluation form outlining the outcome of the activity/initiative.
- Request Reimbursement (see below).
- Optional: Submit your activity/initiative for inclusion as a REALTOR® Party Success Story
Disbursement of Funds: Level 1 and Level 2
The request for reimbursement must be made within 1 year from when the application was approved.
Funds will not be distributed until the Evaluation Form is submitted.
Funds will be distributed as follows:
- Submit the Rural Outreach Grant Reimbursement Request Form
- Submit the Evaluation Form
- Submit the ACH form with your reimbursement request. Reimbursements during COVID-19 will be made via electronic transfer.
- If electronic transfer is not possible, you can request a check. Checks can only be made payable to your association or board. Please provide the name and address of your Association when submitting the check request.
- Submit proof of how funds were spent.
- Acceptable forms of proof include an invoice, signed contract, receipts and cancelled checks.
Questions? Contact Christine Windle firstname.lastname@example.org , 202-383-1135.