Walkable Community Resources
Walkable communities are becoming the latest trend in real estate and REALTORS® need to be aware of how the demand for walkable communities impacts real estate and their business.
Homebuyers rely on REALTORS®’ knowledge of local markets and conditions to help them find a home in a neighborhood of choice. As the walkability trend continues, homebuyers will expect REALTORS® to know how walkable a community is and what are the most walkable communities in an area.
A walkable community is one where residents can walk, bike or take public transit (light rail, trolleys and/or buses) to grocery stores, shops, schools, work, cafes, markets, playgrounds and parks. Walkable communities have a mix of housing types as well as mixed-use buildings that combine residential, office, and retail. They can be high-rise urban neighborhoods, traditional downtowns and main streets, or suburban town centers.
“Creating walkability with restaurants and stores can help transition an edgy part of town into one that is hip and hopping with pedestrians. This type of real estate development transforms the community for the better.”
Lawrence Yun, Chief Economist, National Association of REALTORS®
NAR has created several resources to help make your community more walkable.
- Walkable Community Fact Sheet: a two-page overview to share with others in your community
- Walkable Community Overview for REALTORS®: a short overview to introduce walkable communities, the demand for walkable communities and the impact on the real estate market
- Advocating for a More Walkable Communities: a guide to advocate for more walkable communities including an overview on zoning and policies to advance walkability in your community
- Walkable Community Workshop How-to Guide: a how-to guide on conducting a WalkShop, or walkable community workshop, in your community to make it more walkable
- Make your Community a More Walkable Place Webinar – Get the details on what makes a great walkable community; walkability’s impact on real estate; the demand for walkable communities; Walk Scores and MLS; and one community’s strategy to become more walkable.
- REALTORS® Help Cities Plan for Walkability – Find out how 6 local REALTOR® Associations have partnered with their local governments to sponsor Walkable Community Workshops in their communities.
- On Common Ground issue on Walkable Neighborhoods articles include “The Walkable Demand”, “Zoning for Walkable Neighborhoods”, and “Myrtle Beach: Working on Walking”.
REALTOR® Associations can take advantage of the Smart Growth Grant to be engaged in a project to make their community more walkable, such as organizing a walkable community workshop.
Questions? Contact Holly Moskerintz.