After nearly a year, we continue to see recovery and rebuilding efforts in Gulf Coast states, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands resulting from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. This year, we’ve already seen flooding along the Mississippi River and in Ellicott City, Md. As we continue to support these communities as they rebuild, we are reminded of the importance of the National Flood Insurance Program.
This is why NAR Supports:
- Reauthorizing and gradually strengthening the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) so it is sustainable over the long run;
- Encouraging the development of private market options to offer comparable flood insurance coverage at lower cost than NFIP;
- Providing federal assistance to high-risk property owners, including guaranteed loans, grants and buyouts in order to build to higher standards and keep insurance rates affordable;
- More granularly pricing NFIP policies to better reflect the property’s specific risk; and
- Improving flood map accuracy, so fewer property owners have to file expensive appeals.
Join us protecting more than 5 million homeowners in more than 22,000 communities nationwide by participating in the National Flood Insurance Program Call for Action. Without Congressional action by July 31, 2018, authority for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) will expire.
Tell your member of Congress to extend the NFIP and tell them we need to meaningful reforms to ensure long-term viability of the program today!