It’s August, and in the Nation’s Capital, that means it’s time for Congress to take its traditional “summer recess.” While REALTORS® rarely take a break — from business and from advocacy work, this summer recess is no exception because it represents an important opportunity for REALTORS® to directly engage with Members of Congress. These elected leaders look to us as the experts on issues that impact the real estate industry and private property rights.
Our Federal Political Coordinators are holding in-district meetings with their members of Congress to discuss issues such as reauthorization of the National Flood Insurance Program, GSE reform, and infrastructure and transportation modernization. We want Congress to:
- Find a way forward on a long-term reauthorization measure before September 30 and consider H.R. 3167, the National Flood Insurance Program Reauthorization Act.
- Maintain a strong housing finance system that prioritizes access to financing for millions of Americans who want to become homeowners as they debate the future of the GSEs.
- Consider NAR’s Vision for Housing Finance Reform, released earlier this year, which proposes a new, shareholder-owned utility model that highlights competition and remedies the failures of the pre-crisis system.
- Restore and modernize federal infrastructure funding.
- Streamline permitting to increase efficiency and maximize infrastructure funds.